Manipur is a state in northeastern India making its capital in the city of Imphal.
The game polo originated in Manipur. British soldiers and planters took it back to England, modified the rules and made it popular around the world.
- Rosa macrocarpa, the beautiful species of rose, was discovered by Sir George Watt in Manipur in 1888.
- Lord Irwin described Manipur as the "Switzerland of India".
- Pt.Jawahar Lal Nehru described Manipur as the "Land of Jewels".
- Sarit Sarak, a relatively unknown and unique Martial Art, comes from Manipur.
- Manipur is famous for its classical and folk dances, including the graceful and soft Ras Lila, the acrobatic Pung cholom among others and the dance during the festival of god Laiharaoba known as maibi dance
- Kaibul Lamjao National Park in Loktak lake is the natural habitat of the rare and endangered Brow antlered Deer (Cervus eldi eldi). Locally known as Sangai, it is one of three species of Elds deer in the world confined to South east Asia.
- The Siroi Lily (Lilium Macklinae Sealy) is a beautiful lily found only in the upper reaches of the Siroi Hills in Manipur's Ukhrul District.
- The Indian National Army (INA), led by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, planted the Tricolour at Moirang, Manipur which is the second town liberated by the INA, the first place being Andaman and Nicobar islands.
- Manipur has 3 representatives in the Indian Union: 2 in the Lok Sabha (Lower House) and 1 in the Rajya Sabha (Upper House).
The Shiroy Lily
It is grown at the peak of the Shiroy Kashang Mountain at a height of 8400 feet above sea level situated in Ikhrul district of Manipur. The Shiroy Lily belongs to Lilium family, but unique in character. By using a microscopic lens, seven colours which claimed its superiority to other lilies in the world can be seen light pink in color. The height of the plant varies from 2 ft. to 31/2ft. depending on the soils fertility Shiroy Lily is not grown anywhere in the world accept Shiroy Kanhong of Manipur. It is said that Priincess Chitrangoda of Manipur had own the heart of Arjuna in her first meeting by offering a Shiroy Lily. Arjuna was so impressed with the beauty and fragrance of the flower that he at once lost himself on her. This Shiroy Lily starts blooming during the months of May-June every year on the laden mineral mountain of the Shiroy. It was discovered first by a British naturalists Mr. Kingdom ward, who gave it the Botanical name Lilium Mackleanae and won him the show in London in the 1948.
Follow me on Facebook